Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year?

     Ball drops and you'd think that you would be welcoming a new year into the world.  I, instead had to spend my New Year celebration alone and away from family as they all vacationed to visit our family in Toronto.  Thankfully I had our one-year old dog, Pippo, to keep me company while everybody was celebrating.  Just when I thought that my holiday was depressing because I was alone things took a further turn for the worse.
     I wake up the next day aiming to go through my usual routine which commences with breakfast in front of the t/v except this day is different from the others as every t/v channel has no signal.  I assumed there were technical difficulties and went on with my morning.  I fed Pippo and started preparing for my daily gym session at the New York Sports Club.  I had my ipod in ear and started the brief three to four minute walk to the gym.  When I arrived at the NYSC entrance it was locked and all the lights were off.  The only thought on my mind was, "why would it be closed without informing its clients?".  Nothing led me to the reality of the events transpiring before me.
     On my walk home I realized that the regular traffic in the streets is non-existent.  Shocking? Yes.  Though this did not phase me enough to want to figure out why.
     After arriving home I decided I'd just play some FIFA on Playstation 3 to kill some time while waiting for my family to call.  It's now around 2p.m. when suddenly there is a loud bang on my door which alerts my dog, myself, and anybody within 15 yards.  I can't help, but think it is the postal service delivering a package.  My dog is a frequent barker, but after a while he will stop except this time he doesn't seem to quiet down and so I send him downstairs.
     I approach the door as anybody normally would and upon opening the door I was taken back.  My knees felt weak, my hands quivering, and my heart fluttering.  It was my neighbor Mary and she did not look like her normal self.  She is twenty-years old with blonde hair, blue eyes, bright smile, and as fit as any twenty-year old girl can be (in a good way).  Basically this girl was a ten out of ten on any day of the week.  There she was standing at the bottom of the steps with no shoes on and what looked to be blood on her face, hand, shirt, and hair.  So I immediately become alarmed and ask her, "Mary, what the hell happened to you?". No response from her.  All she could do is stare intensely at me.
     I have my dog in the background barking my ears off and here is this once beautiful girl all bloody and surprisingly still looking good.  I get frustrated easily and when she didn't respond I realized it's time to shut the door.  This wasn't a situation that required the police were my feelings.  As I stepped back to shut the door she was still standing there grinning at me with this look on her face that would only turn on the creepiest of creeps.  I moved to close the door and then it happened, she sprinted as if I were a gazelle and she were a lioness.  I managed to close the door and lock it, but my experience with zombie films and games makes me realize "holy shit!". My nightmare is now a reality or is it?  I didn't care as I was focused on the girl at the front of my house trying to get her lunch meal.
     It was this moment now that I ran downstairs into my basement and grabbed hold of my old faithful, my hockey stick.  My dog moved himself into my room and I closed him in there because he is in no way prepared for this if I wasn't the least bit prepared.  My adrenaline was driven by fear and curiosity.  I peered out the living room window and there she was staring at my door.  All I could think was, "There is no way this is really happening.  She can't be a zombie.".  It was a true shame because this girl had that special thing about her.  Before stepping back out there I decided to go to my roof and peer around the street to see if she was alone or if anybody else was out that could maybe explain to me what was going on.  Much to my dismay there was nobody, but Mary.  At this point I realized I'm going to have to kill this once beautiful girl.  I grab my hockey stick and make my way down the ladder (which is on my 3rd floor and can access my roof from inside), it is very convenient.
     I take a deep breath before opening the front door and grip my hockey stick as though I were ready to take a slap-shot that were to clock 120 mph.  I open the door and she starts at me again as if she made it a goal of hers to have me to herself (where was this attitude 2 days ago when you weren't so blood thirsty).  I push her back down the stairs with the butt of the stick and before she can get back up I run down and take a swing right at her temple.  She drops hard, but I know that it's time to enact the "Double Tap-Rule #2" and continue beating on her skull.  Her body now lied there motionless and full of blood from her head down to her chest.  A true tragedy. I left her body there because I figured worst case scenario the cops would show up and I can explain to them what happened.  Wasn't that wishful thinking?
     What the hell is going on?  Is my family safe in Toronto?  Where are all my friends?  Some of the endless thoughts running through my mind.  I sure as hell wasn't going to be able to fall asleep after what I just encountered.  I have to hope that I will receive answers tomorrow. As if living in this recession isn't hard enough.

---Francesco "Cardio First"
  

No comments:

Post a Comment