Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The End is Just the Beginning 2/2

What the hell was I supposed to do? I know he was her father. But I had to protect her, right? I mean, he was standing right between us and our only way out. Well she surely didn't enjoy watching me take him by the throat and ram his head through the wall. Rather, I smashed the wall through his head. I didn't enjoy it too much either. I had nothing but love and respect for the man.

"Be strong baby. I had no choice and you know that. He was one of those things. A zombie," I said sofly. " That's not the fucking point! He was my father goddamnit, have some sympathy!" She was right, I could have been more sensitive. But, there was no time to be sympathetic. It was "zombie apocalypse" for Christ's sake.
We headed back to my house. I didn't want to leave my mother alone for much longer. It seemed that in the 5 minutes we were at Shelah's house, things had already gotten a lot worse. There were bodies everywhere, sprawled across the streets. And some of them were getting up. Scratch that, all of them were getting up!!!
This time, I drove carelessly. Everyone seemed to be infected and I didn't want to take my chances. I have to admit that I was afraid. I was especially afraid for my mother and Shelah. I didn't know if I was capable of keeping them safe. But, I was going to do everything in my power. I was going to fight!!!
We arrived back at my place. I figured we can defend ourselves from there. We have strong doors and large dogs. When we sprinted into the house from the car, I yelled for my mother. No answer. What the hell could she be doing? I told her not to move until I came back for her. I ran upstairs to look for her, but she was nowhere to be found. I heard a loud, painful yelp from downstairs. It was Bandit's cry! Bandit was my dog and my best friend. "Shit!! One of those things is here in the goddamn house. What am I gonna do baby?" She freaked out just as much as I did, but somehow came to her senses once she noticed the axe that was mounted on my wall. I got that axe about two years ago from the Renaissance Faire and haven't touched it since it was nailed to my wall. "Take it, baby," She said without a stutter, "I know that you'll get us out of this. I trust you with my life. You're Isaac. You can do anything, baby." Encouraging words. Actually made me feel invincible. A feeling that lasted about ten seconds, because when I came downstairs, I saw what made Bandit cry so loud. It was my mother. She was on her knees, ripping his stomach out while Smokey, my other dog, watched in fear.
"Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck!!!!" I started freaking out and crying at the same time. That was my mother!! She raised me, supported me, loved me for more than 24 years. What was I supposed to do now? I looked at Shelah and saw that she was just as scared as I was. She asked me if I needed her to do it. But I couldn't let her. What if my mother got a hold of her? Then I would have lost them both, ya know. So I did what I had to do. I'm not going into details now because I'm already on the verge of crying hysterically.

After I handled the situation, I took a few moments to myself to reflect on what I had just done. Shelah didn't say a word, she just held me while I sat there. If anyone understood my pain, it was her. It hurt. I felt like I lost a part of my heart that moment. I lost a part of me.

After I came to, I grabbed my axe and headed straight to the basement. The house was locked up, so the only way my mother could have been bitten was from the inside. The only one home was my tenant. He was about to get it the worst of all. I slammed the door open and looked straight into the bastard's lifeless eyes. If these things could show fear, he would have been showing plenty of it. Joe was a big guy, and in pretty good shape. He ought to be, being a fireman and all. But he was no match for my axe. I didn't want to just kill him. I wanted to make him suffer, if that was at all possible.

The first thing I did was yell up to Shelah, "whatever you do baby, don't come down here. You don't wanna see this." Then I shut the door behind me. My first swing was aimed directly for his right knee. Then the left one. The axe was blunt, so it took a few swings before I could remove each leg. Now that his legs were gone I took off each arm, individually. This was a little easier because the meat on his arms were thinner as well as his bones. There had to be little to no blood left in him. But, somehow he was still alive and still chomping his teeth at me. I knew these things had to die somehow. I remembered my previous two killings were both blows to the head, so that must have been the answer. So, I stayed away from his head as long as possible. I swung away, and each bash was harder than the next. Each new sound of his bones breaking and organs squishing brought more of an unfamiliar satisfaction to me. At that moment, I lost even more of the man that I once was. After about 7 or 8 minutes, all that remained, of the creature that was once Joe, was his head. Eyes still open and mouth still moving, I decided not to finish the job. I grabbed his head from behind and tossed it in the freezer along with the rest of his body parts. I didn't know where else to put it all. A job well done.

Covered in blood, I ran upstairs to change. Before I could make it to the top floor of my house, Shelah and I heard a loud banging on the door. It was the mail man. Remembering what I saw on Shelah's steps, I figured this was the reason for Shelah's parents' demise. I guess my job wasn't finished yet. Again, I sent Shelah upstairs and told her to lock herself in my room. Mr. mail man was about to suffer just as much as Joe. I let him in and took a few steps back. Upon entering, he looked at me for a moment. He just stared through me as though I wasn't even there. "It's the blood!!" I said to myself. With all of the "Zombie Joe" blood on me, he must not be able to recognize me as being among the living. All the same, I made him suffer the exact same fate as my previous victim. I wouldn't let Shelah come downstairs until I cleaned up everything. I didn't want her to have to see all of it. She had enough to deal with that day. I tossed all of the body parts into my backyard and attempted to mop up the remains.

After all was done, I went up to comfort Shelah. "All of the doors are locked. Tomorrow I will get some chains and wood to lock up the doors and board up all of the windows. I guess for now we are safe, baby. I'm sorry about everything that has happened to you. Just know that I'm going to protect you from here on out. I promise...." She began to shiver and just wanted me to hold her. After we laid there for a few minutes, I remembered the wound on her shoulder. I got the first aid kit from Joe's apartment and patched her up. "There you go baby, good as new." At that moment, I was just so happy that she wasn't bitten. I couldn't imagine losing the love of my life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment