Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Another Day...

‘Please, don’t take it, it’s as good as killing me!’ She whimpered. I ignored her, stuffing what little untainted supplies she possessed in to my bag. She grabbed my bag, ‘Please! Have mercy! I…. I….. I can fuck you if you don’t take it.’ I turned to her, ‘Bitch if I wanted to fuck I would take that too. Now shut the fuck up and get out of my way, your pathetic mewling is trying my patience.’ She backed into a corner, sobbing and holding her face with her hands. People like her disgust me, not willing to defend or secure what they need with blood or their lives, no wonder the world is FUBAR right now.

After exiting the apartment complex, I started on the way back to my safe house. Pickings were fucking slim today, each day I range a little farther looking for shit, and each day I find less and less. Running so dangerously low on ammo it’s fucking ridiculous and I’ve resorted to cleaning my weapons with WD-40. Stealth is my best weapon now, best to just skirt around the less attentive ones. However the more alert “patrollers” are becoming a serious annoyance, I don’t know if it’s just me or if they really are getting smarter. Three days ago two of them nearly chased me right into the jaws of another one. I might’ve been imagining it, but I could’ve sworn they were communicating somehow. If it wasn’t for that bumbling fool who drew them away I would definitely be fucked. Maybe he wanted a friend and was trying to save me so we could survive together. He succeeded in saving me, saving himself however….. probably not.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin is often attributed as saying that, and even though he didn’t, that doesn’t make it any less correct. Even before the world went and got fucked, I had this philosophy. There is one constant in the universe: conflict. The weak die, the ones that can adapt, live. As for the other survivors., many of them would die. I knew that I was sacrificing them for my own ends, but that’s the way the world works. It was a cruel place, and that meant that, sometimes, I had to be crueler.

1 comment: